Peru Photo Tour
Discover Peru’s stunning beauty during a exciting photography workshop! We’ll take you off the beaten track, ensuring you’ll get to experience the country in an authentic way, and allowing you to make the most of all its photographic highlights. You’ll visit the ancient Incan ruins – including the famous Machu Picchu, which will give an insight into this fascinating civilization. During hikes, train rides, and horse rides, we’ll explore imposing mountain ranges, encounter llamas and alpacas, and meet welcoming locals in rural villages. We’ll also fly you to the Amazon jungle for a few nights, where we’ll explore the jungle by boat and by foot, allowing you to photograph the wealth of wildlife from a variety of angles. On top of this, we’ll photograph urban scenes during visits to Lima and Cusco. It’s an opportunity to discover this stunning country in a unique way, and practice wildlife, landscape, portrait, and street photography. You’ll be guided by two professional photographers, who’ll provide tutoring along the way.
Explore Peru through your lens; a country with a huge diversity of photographic opportunities, including wildlife, landscape, portrait, and street photography
Visit the famous Machu Picchu, but also explore some less visited (but no less photogenic) ruins of the old Incan empire in the Sacred Valley
Venture into the Amazon jungle, with its wealth of wildlife
Photograph stunning lagoons, the famous Rainbow Mountain, and the Ausangate mountain in a Quechua community, one of Peru's highest peaks
Immerse yourself in Andean culture and practice portrait photography when meeting the welcoming locals
Enjoy guidance by local and knowledgeable guides
Receive photographing tutoring by two professional photographers
- Where Peru
- When July 2018
- Photographic focus Landscape & culture
- Workshop leaders Dan Soby & Pedro Pulido
- Group size Max 12
- Price $3499
- Day 1 You’ll arrive in Cusco, which is a short flight from Peru’s capital Lima. We’ll meet you at the airport, drive you to our hotel, and get you settled in. We’ll then have a chance to meet the group and do some first photography during a walk through the streets of Cusco, which is the stunning old capital of the Incan empire. We’ll also do a briefing on the rest of the trip.
- Day 2 We’ll start the day with a visit to a local market, where the colorful and friendly Andean people are open to usually portrait and documental photography. In the afternoon, we’ll enjoy the amazing reflections on one of the most stunning lakes of the sacred valley, Lake Huaypo. We’ll then take the famous train through the sacred valley to the beautiful city of Aguas Calientes, the town below Machu Picchu.
- Day 3 We will spend a majority of the day in the lost city of the Incas; Machu Picchu. A local guide will show us all the treasures of this archaeological gem, and there will be plenty of time to find the most photogenic angles. We will take the train back to Ollantaytambo and then a private transport to Calca where we will spend a relaxed night in front of the river lost in the Sacred Valley.
- Day 4 We’ll leave Calca around 6am and visit the local market for a portrait session and to try some fresh Peruvian specialties. Here, we can also buy some bread for the community we later visit. We head into Cuncani; a 2,5-hour scenic drive in the most impressive landscapes that you will see in the Sacred Valley. We’ll make sure to stop for pictures along the way. When we arrive in Cuncani, our host Esteban will be waiting for us with his family and wife to have a traditional Peruvian meal in their beautiful traditional house. After lunch, we’ll begin our afternoon walk to the lakes of Queullacocha and enjoy some great landscape and wildlife photography. This area is surrounded by stunning valleys and mountains full of llamas and alpacas and their master Quechua shepherds. At the end of the afternoon, we’ll start our return to Cusco, where we’ll have a relaxed night at our hotel.
- Day 5 We’ll enjoy an excursion through the city of Cusco with a local guide. He will take us to a traditional local market, the main square, some beautiful churches and several stunning Inca palaces. In the afternoon, we’ll embark on a street photography mission in some off the beaten path areas of Cusco.
- Day 6 Early in the morning, we will go to the unknown side of the famous Rainbow Mountain. The normal tourist route brings large crowds to the most common tourist path of the famous mountain, but luckily for us, most people don’t know that it’s possible to visit the other side of this mountain range – so that’s exactly where we will take you, deep inside the Andes. We will spend the night close to the Ausangate mountain in a Quechua community. Enjoying the hot springs is a must in this location and if the weather permits it, get ready for an astrophotography session once the
- Day 7 Seven stunning lagoons await us during the morning. We’ll start our day with a horse-ride under the majestic Ausangate mountain. Guided by a local horse trainer, we’ll ride through seven lagoons with incredible shades of blues and greens; a real visual feast. We’ll return to the village for lunch and a chance to talk to the community members. You can again relax in the hot springs before we set off to Cusco.
- Day 8 We’ll fly from Cuso to Puerto Maldonado, a short 30-minute flight. We will take the day to settle in our lodge on the edge of the Madre de Dios River, in the middle of the jungle, and enjoy this incredible location. When the sunset comes, we will jump on a boat to enjoy and photograph the sunset.
- Day 9 Straight after breakfast, our boat driver Celsio will take us to the native community of Santa Theresita. It is a 3-hour boat trip on the Madre de Dios River, which offers us the opportunity to photograph incredible birds, make a stop on an island in the middle of the jungle, and enjoy this incredibly remote location. Once we arrive at Santa Theresita, we will take some time to get to know the local community and learn about their way of life. The people of this community have great pride in showing us their traditions and routines, as well as their natural surroundings. It’s an amazing opportunity to learn about this rich local culture, and to practice some portrait photography. After a traditional lunch at the village, we will return slowly to our hotel to rest in the pool after a warm day by the river.
- Day 10 Our boat will take us to the Native Matsiguenga family, where we will again have an incredible opportunity to immerse ourselves in the local culture, and enjoy some unique portrait photography. Afterwards we will head to the Sandoval Lake (Tambopata Reserve), where we will have a 5.5 km walk in the jungle with many opportunities of photographing monkeys, snakes, tarantulas and wild pigs. When we reach the shores of Lake Sandoval, we’ll take a boat to navigate on the lake and keep looking for local fauna such as alligators, giant river otters, parrots and a diversity of birds.
- Day 11 We’ll replace the jungle for the urban jungle of Lima, where we’ll fly in the afternoon. We will have a last sunset photography session in the Malecon by the ocean.
- Day 12 After a last breakfast with the group, we’ll take you to the airport in Lima, where you can start making your way home.
July 4 - 15, 2018
Workshop fee: $3495 per person (sharing)
Included in the fee are:
- Breakfast (all days) and lunch (on days where lunch is mentioned in the itinerary)
- Flights and ground transfers as per the itinerary
- All activities and entrance fees as per the itinerary
- Photographic guidance along the way by two professional photographers
- Local guides
- Amazing drone footages from your Peruvian adventure with us!
Not included are:
- International flights to Cusco and from Lima
- Dinners (all days) and lunches (on a few of the days where we won’t be out on an excursion during lunch time)
- Travel insurance
Peru has it all, photography-wise, you can expect a huge variety of exciting photographic opportunities. During this trip, we’ll visit vibrant cities, dense jungles, imposing mountain ranges, and the ruins of old civilizations. You can expect to photograph mountainous vistas, colorful local markets and friendly locals, wildlife in a variety of settings, as well as city scapes and urban scenes. We’ll always keep photography in mind and will get you to the best spots at the right times of day, ensuring that you’ll have the best possible photographic opportunities.
Your Photography Workshops
Throughout this trip, you’ll be accompanied by two professional photographers, Dan Soby and Pedro Pulido, who will provide tutoring along the way. They’ll provide photographic tutoring, both during theory sessions and in the field, and will be able to offer assistance with technical issues, composition, and post-production. The photography workshops will be customized to the group, so that everyone gets as much out of it as possible. This photo tour is suitable for photographers of all levels.
We recommend the following equipment:
- Camera with a range of lenses (bearing in mind that we’ll be practicing landscape, portrait, street, and wildlife photography)
- Enough memory cards and batteries
- A sturdy camera bag
- A laptop with editing software if you’d like tutoring on your postproduction
Dan first became passionate for photography in Peru, and went on to study photography in France. After traveling around the world for six years, he's returned to Peru, where he shares his passion with fellow photography enthusiasts. Dan is passionate about showing travelers the real Peru, away from the beaten
paths, and helping bring out the best photographers in them along the way.
Pedro grew up in Portugal, where he first found his love for landscape and street photography. Following his photographic passion for stunning landscapes, he now lives in Peru, where he's enjoying sharing this country with fellow photography enthusiasts.