Namibia Landscape Photography Workshop
An exploration of impressive deserts, coast lines, and canyons
Namibia is a landscape photographer’s dream. With its red dunes, its mighty gorges, and its desolate coast lines, the country provides fascinating and at times surreal scenes that are immensely photogenic. Join us for an exploration of some of Namibia’s most impressive landscapes during this 13-day photography workshop. We’ll take you to the impressive Fish River Canyon, the famous Sossusvlei, and the Quiver Tree Forest. We’ll photograph deserted towns where sand has reclaimed buildings. We’ll enjoy ever-changing landscapes during the magical light at Africa’s dawn and dusk. Along the way, you’ll be assisted by two professional photographers, who will help you improve your skills and take incredible pictures.
“A fan-bloody-tactic tour. The level of tuition was outstanding, with Nick and Emil making themselves always available. Nick with his unflappable attention to tour details and logistics, his concern for guests’ comfort and enjoyment. Emil with his exuberant and ever present photographer’s admiration of every vista that this magnificent country presents, his unending enthusiasm, and his phenomenal knowledge of photography. Enjoyment level 10 of out 10.”
– Mark Weaver
- Photograph Namibia's wide variety of spectacular and surreal landscapes during a 13-day photo workshop
- Visit the famous Fish River Canyon, Sossusvlei, and Quiver Tree Forest
- Receive photographing tutoring by two professional photographers, and travel in a small group so that personal attention is guaranteed
Photograph the surreal tableaus of sand dunes invading ruins in the ghost town of Kolmanskop
- Enjoy a holiday that is fully designed by and for photographers, ensuring that you will get the best possible photographic opportunities
- Improve your photography and put your skills into practice straight away, in incredible settings
- Where Namibia
- When 2 - 14 November, 2019
- Focus Landscape photography
- Price TBA
- Workshop Leaders Emil von Maltitz & Nick van de Wiel
- Group Size Max. 7
- Level Required Suitable for photographers of all levels
Namibia is a place of effortlessly beautiful landscapes; some of the most stunning in Africa. It possesses ancient deserts, dramatic canyons, distinctive rock formations, and glorious red sand dunes. These landscapes, which stand out against stark blue skies, are a feast for landscape photographers. There’s an endless amount of stimulation and challenge, and on this landscape photography workshop, we’ll make sure to take you to Namibia’s scenic highlights. These include the magical Quiver Tree Forest, Fish River Canyon, the deserted mining town of Kolmanskop, the red dunes at the famous Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei in the Namib Desert, and the iconic Spitzkoppe Mountains.
- Day 1 You'll be met at Windhoek Airport and transferred to our first accommodation, where there is time to spend the rest of the day relaxing by the pool and resting after the long journey. One of the photography workshop leaders will be there to meet the guests and can familiarize everyone with the plan for the next exciting two weeks!
- Day 2 After breakfast in Windhoek, we'll start the beautiful journey to Keetmanshoop. In the afternoon, we'll have a short introductory lecture and a photography session amongst the famous Quiver trees and dolomite rock formations. We'll shoot from multiple locations at this phenomenal site.
- Day 3 We'll get up up early for a dawn shoot at Quiver Tree Forest. We will also have some guided editing time in the afternoon, followed by another photography session in the evening. We'll end the day by photographing star-trails.
- Day 4 We'll start our day with an optional dawn shoot and after breakfast, we'll set off to the amazing Fish River Canyon. After lunch at the lodge, we will have some time to relax. In the evening we will be doing a photo shoot of the canyon itself. We will arrive in time to watch the light settle on the horizon and cast shadows through this giant’s playground of erosion. We'll watch the last of the light before heading to dinner.
- Day 5 & 6 We'll leave the magnificent Fish River Canyon after a critique session and travel to the coastal town of Luderitz. To break up the drive, we will stop at an old railway house to have a short photo shoot. After that, we'll head to the amazing and hauntingly beautiful abandoned mining town of Kolmanskop, which is incredible to photograph. We will be staying at the comfortable Luderitz Nest Hotel, which has its own tidal beach and walk-on jetty.
As photographers, we are able to arrange for a special permit to enter Kolmanskop before dawn. This allows for a fantastic opportunity to walk through these decrepit buildings that the desert is slowly invading. We'll spend the full morning here photographing this surreal tableau before returning to the Nest hotel for lunch. We'll return again in the late afternoon to shoot during the warm afternoon-light, followed by an evening photographing the stars.
- Day 7 - 9 We'll drive to Sesriem Canyon and the Namib-Naukluft National Park, where we'll spend three days photographing Sossusvlei and Dead Vlei. In the evening, we'll have dinner and relax at the lodge, which overlooks the start of the glorious red dunes.
On day eight we'll be up early to get shots of the famous Sossusvlei in the best possible light. You'll also have the option to book a helicopter or plane flight over the dunes. This offers a great way to see and photograph the famous dunes from a different perspective. After our photo shoot of Sossusvlei, or your exciting flight, we return to the lodge for a rest followed by some teaching and guided editing time. This evening we will photograph Deadvlei with its iconic trees.
Day nine will start early and will allow you to take star trail images over the stark skeletal tree forms of Dead Vlei. This will be followed by a morning shoot in the same location. The stars are spectacular and well worth the lack of sleep! After our morning shoot we'll head back to the lodge for a rest. In the afternoon, we will have another critique session, followed by another opportunity to photograph Sossusvlei. Those who have not taken their scenic flight yet will do so in the late afternoon/evening. (NB the helicopter or plane flight will be dependent upon availability and the weather).
- Day 10 We'll start the day with a dawn shoot of the dunes. Once we're all happy with our images, we'll return to the lodge for breakfast, after which we check out and travel to Rostock Ritz, an oasis of luxury overlooking the vast grass plains to the east of the Namib Naukluft Desert. In the afternoon, there will be more photography workshops and we'll spend the rest of the evening relaxing at our lovely lodge.
- Day 11 & 12 After an optional morning game drive, we'll depart Rostock and travel to the incredible and surreal landscape of Spitzkoppe. This is a large sandstone mountain in the middle of the desert with some of incredible arches and rock features. We'll stay at rustic bungalows situated directly under the mountain, allowing us the opportunity to photograph arches and rock features against the stars, and in the warmest light of the day. Shooting will be mixed with time for guided editing and advanced editing workshops.
- Day 13 This morning we finish our wonderful Namibia photography workshop with a last dawn session in Spitzkoppe. We'll make our way back to Windhoek, where you can opt to fly out immediately or organize to stay near the airport for a more leisurely departure the following day.
2 - 14 November 2019
The price includes:
- Pickup and drop off from Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport
- All lodging (based upon sharing)
- Dinner day 1, breakfast, lunch, dinner day 2-11, breakfast & lunch day 12
- Local tips for guides and for restaurants
- Photography guidance by two professional photographers and an assistant
- All tuition including teaching material and hand-outs
- All entrance fees and photography permits
- All road transport in comfortable 4×4 vehicles
- All toll and parking fees
- An indirect contribution to the Penda Trust, as part of our proceeds go towards funding the running costs of our charity
- A tree that will be planted on your behalf by Greenpop, as a way to help compensate for your carbon footprint
The price does not include:
- Airfares to and from Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport
- Single room supplement
- Drinks and non-meal time snacks
- Optional helicopter or Cessna flight over Sossus Vlei (± R1800-4500 pp)
- Possible extra excursions/ activities and/or additional days
- Travel insurance
This Namibia photography workshop is fully designed around photography; we’ll take you to the most visually stimulating locations, at the best possible times. The main focus in landscape photography, and we couldn’t think of a more exciting setting; Namibia’s landscapes are spectacular and unique, as well as incredibly diverse. Expect to photograph impressive gorges, striking dunes and rock formations, surreal scenes of a desert ghost town, and inspiring forests of quiver trees.
Your Photography Workshops
Throughout this Namibia photo tour, Emil and Nick will be providing you with workshops that will help you hone your photography skills. Teaching sessions will cover creative, technical and editing aspects. Tutoring is very much tailor-made to everyone’s needs, and we will make sure to cover everything each individual participants wants to learn. Therefore, this workshop is suitable for both beginners and experienced photographers. Where and when required, the group can even divided so that our two instructors and their assistant can each teach different topics and at different levels.
The sessions will most likely include the following:
- Creative Composition: the basics and beyond, such as the element approach, balancing composition etc
- Basics to advanced techniques in digital landscape photography. There are three instructors meaning that virtually all levels of photographer can be catered for.
- Workflow & digital asset management
- How to create awe-inspiring astrophotography and star trail images
- Painting with light
- How to create panoramic images
- How to create time lapses (optional)
- Post-production using Lightroom and Photoshop
- An SLR camera
- A good quality tripod
- A range of lenses, including a wide angle lens and a telephoto lens
- A camera remote (cable release) or intervalometer
- A laptop with editing software
- A back-up hard drive
Emil von Maltitz
Emil von Maltitz is an internationally recognized South African landscape photographer and member of the International Environmental Photographers Association. He has been involved in photography for the better part of the last two decades. After completing his post graduate degree in anthropology, he opted to pursue his dream and turn his passion for photography into his career. Along with freelance commercial and assignment photography, Emil spends time running a number of photographic workshops. Well-versed and knowledgeable in the Adobe suites, Emil will be able to help and guide in photo-editing and several advanced photographic techniques during the workshop.
Nick van de Wiel
Nick van de Wiel is a specialised nature photographer and photographic guide based in St. Lucia, South Africa. Trained as a biologist as well as safari guide, Nick revels being in the bush, and if possible, with a camera in hand! Although he started of as a Wildlife Photographer, as his photography matured he moved more and more towards Landscape Photography. Although technically very able, both ‘in camera’ as well as with post processing, Nick is very focussed on the creative as well as meditative aspect of photography.