Cuba Photography Workshop, Havana & Trinidad
Experience The Real Cuba During An Exciting Photographic Adventure
Experience the real, the raw Cuba, and improve your photography skills at the same time during this 10-day photography workshop. Cuba, a country with a unique atmosphere, a vibrant culture, and an irresistible photographic quality, is a dream setting for street photography. During this adventurous Cuba photography workshop, you’ll be able to capture some of this magic. You’ll photograph the timeworn but striking architecture, the colourful people, and the pulsating music scene in both Havana and Trinidad, cities that each have their own distinct and fascinating character. We’ll go off the beaten track, to ensure we get to experience Cuba in an authentic way, and to explore some unique street photography opportunities. It’s an urban photography experience like no other!
Throughout this Cuba photography workshop, you’ll be guided by professional photographers with a wealth of local knowledge, who will help bring out the best photographer in you. Since we work with small group sizes, the tutoring will be tailor-made to your level – so whether you’re a beginner or a semi-pro, you’ll be able to hone your skills and return home with some stunning images. Find out more about this Cuba photography workshop by reading on, or get in touch if you have any questions!
And if you’re keen to also explore Cuba’s countryside, you might want to check out our photo tour in Havana & Viñales.
- Explore Havana & Trinidad in an authentic, off the beaten track way, and enjoy unique photographic opportunities
- Receive photographic tutoring, tailored to any level, by award-winning photographers
- Experience Cuba's vibrant music and fashion scenes through your lens - and get your salsa shoes on if you're up for it!
- Improve your photography skills during daily workshops, and put your skills into practice straight away
- Enjoy very personal tutoring because of an exceptionally good ratio between participants and workshop leaders
- Where Havana & Trinidad, Cuba
- When November 1 - 10, 2018
- Focus Culture & Street Photography
- Length 10 days
- Price £2295 (full board & single rooms)
- Photography Level Required Suitable for all levels
- Group Size Max. 6
Cuba is a country of contrasts, colours, and culture. It is a country of vibrancy and undefinable beauty. It’s also a country that lends itself incredibly well for photography.
In Cuba, there is an unmissable and unique sense of history. This a country that embraces the present, but also celebrates its turbulent past. This tiny island has seen more than its fair share of hardships, but it’s a country full of hope and optimism, of passion and self-belief, fuelled by people who have never given in or given up.
For photographers, Cuba is a dream setting. The preservation of Cuba’s history gives a unique sense of a time gone by. Its architecture is timeworn but magnificent. Cuba’s people are open and welcoming, their culture vibrant. The street scenes are captivating and ever-changing. There’s something to inspire every photographer, and we’ll help you immerse yourself in Cuba’s story.
If you’re keen to also explore Cuba’s countryside, you might want to check out our photo tour in Havana & Viñales.
In Havana, we’ll stay in a comfortable hotel that’s at least 3-star. In Trinidad, we’ll stay in a Casa Particular, a typical Cuban-style bed & breakfast, where we’re hosted by a Cuban family. In all cases, you’ll have your own room and bathroom.
- Day 1 Arrival at José Martí International Airport in Havana, where you'll be picked up and taken to your hotel. After settling in, we can all get to know each other during dinner.
- Day 2 - 4 We'll spend three days photographing Havana.
A typical day will start with a brief group discussion over what we are planning on shooting that day - then going out photographing, where there will be a mix of one-to-one and group teaching. After returning to our accommodation, we take time to review and assess everyone's images, and to discuss photography theory. For dinner, we invite you to explore Cuba's exciting restaurants - and possibly its pulsating night scene.
- Day 5 - 7 On day 5, we head to Trinidad for a taste of the colonial majesty in the UNESCO world Heritage site. Here, we continue with the same structure of photographing during most of the day, and returning to our accommodation late afternoon for theoretic tutoring and reviewing of everyone's work. We'll work in one day where you can go off on your own, either to relax, or to do some individual exploring, as Trinidad lends itself brilliantly to both.
- Day 8 - 10 Return to Havana and continue to explore the city. We will finish the trip with excursions to a classic car tour, a nearby beach to see the famous Malecón, visit a cigar factory and enjoy a spicy night of salsa dancing. Time to head home! We'll transport you back to José Martí International Airport, where we'll say our goodbyes.
November 1 - 10, 2018
Price: £2295 per person sharing
Included in the price:
- Accommodation in comfortable bed & breakfasts and casas (single rooms)
- All meals
- Airport transfers to and from José Martí International Airport
- All transport on the ground including transport to/from Trinidad
- Constant and personal photographic tuition
- Entry visa for Cuba
- An indirect contribution to the Penda Trust, as part of our proceeds go towards funding the running costs of our charity
- A tree that will be planted on your behalf by Greenpop, as a way to help compensate for your carbon footprint
Not included in the price:
- Flights to and from Havana (José Martí International Airport)
- Personal travel insurance including camera insurance
You never know what can happen in Havana, it’s a city of surprises and escapades – and that’s what makes it such a great location for photography. We know all of the hip and happening places to shoot and be seen and we’ll introduce to the best hotspots. After that, we head down to the coolest place on earth; Trinidad, Cuba. There we encounter cowboys, cobbled streets and courtyard bars. We try to keep this retreat as fluid and relaxed as possible; there’s no fixed agenda as we will shoot for the conditions and opportunities as they arise, but here’s a few of the high- lights you can look forward to:
Visual Storytelling Masterclass: Throughout the week we will mentor you on the art of capturing and engaging with your audience through compelling and striking images.
Classic Car Cruise: No trip to Havana would be complete without a leisurely tour of the city from the comfort of a classic American con- vertible.
Old Havana: The real heart of central Havana is the district known as Old Havana. We’ll guide you through the backstreets and alleyways, to the find the plazas, market places and hidden gems.
Fashion Shoot: A stunning location, some beautiful models, you and your camera – and our expert guidance. So you’re certain to capture some attention-grabbing shots.
Salsa Studio: Seductive, sexy and sultry – find yourself whisked across the dance-floor for a mambo or cha, cha, cha or shoot from the sidelines to capture the heart, soul and passion.
Your Photography Workshops
Throughout the workshop we will explore a variety of photographic styles and genres; street based and urban, landscapes, portraits, architecture, fashion and food, in both colour and black & white. We will examine the work and approach of well known and less well known photographers from different eras and countries and understand who they were influenced by, who in turn they influenced and what impressions they left on both the photographic landscape and the world at large.
We recommend the following equipment for this photography holiday:
- Camera and a range of lenses (any camera will be fine – the tutoring will be tailor-made to each participant’s individual skill-level and equipment)
- Spare batteries and memory cards
- Computer with editing software, if you want to be tutored on post-production
From musicians and artists such as B.B. King, Pavarotti and Lee Scratch Perry to African tribesmen and Cuban tobacco farmers, Andy’s pictures get inside the subject. His style is reportage; one of observation and patience; a master of the decisive moment and of knowing when the image will emerge. Andy was the photographer behind the world’s first charity e-book; Holding onto Hope; which ran as an exhibition at London’s Menier Gallery - A series of celebrity photographs in aid of OvaCome, a charity which is particularly close to Andy’s heart. You can see more of his work on his website: www.andyscaysbrook.com
From sunrise in the Annapurna mountains to sunset at Stonehenge, stopping at frozen beaches, forgotten villages and disused railways: Andrew's travels have taken him all over the world. Andrew's style is documentary; shooting real life, just as he finds it; whether that's locals on the beach, landscapes in rural France or rock concerts in Cuba. Andrew's projects have been exhibited on their own and as part of collections of work with other photographers, including one with Goldsmith's University & Magnum. You can see more of his work on his website: andrewbell.pictures