Cuba Photography Workshop, Havana & Vinales
Explore Cuba's Havana During An Exciting Photographic Adventure
Explore the gritty and unique charm of Havana during this 10-day photography workshop. With its nostalgic architecture, vibrant culture, and colourful people, Cuba’s main city has an undeniable allure, and provides a dream setting for photography. During this adventurous photography workshop, you’ll be able to capture some of this Cuban magic through your lens. We’ll explore Havana’s backstreets, photograph its pulsating music scene, and practice portrait photography when meeting the city’s welcoming inhabitants. Through the photo tour, you’ll be able to improve your photography skills at the same time through professional tutoring. It’s an enthralling urban photography experience unlike any other.
- Explore Cuba in an authentic, off the beaten track way, and enjoy unique photographic opportunities
- Receive photographic tutoring, tailored to any level, by award-winning photographers
- Experience Cuba's vibrant music and fashion scenes through your lens - and get your salsa shoes on if you're up for it!
- Improve your photography skills during daily workshops, and put your skills into practice straight away
- Enjoy very personal tutoring because of an exceptionally good ratio between participants and workshop leaders
- Where Havana & Vinales, Cuba
- When November 1 - 10, 2018
- Focus Street photography, cultural photography, portrait photography
- Length 7 days
- Price £2195
- Photography Level Required Suitable for photographers of all levels
- Group Size Max. 6 people
Cuba is a country of contrasts, colours, and culture. It is a country of vibrancy and undefinable beauty. It’s also a country that lends itself incredibly well for photography.
In Cuba, there is an unmissable and unique sense of history. This a country that embraces the present, but also celebrates its turbulent past. This tiny island has seen more than its fair share of hardships, but it’s a country full of hope and optimism, of passion and self-belief, fuelled by people who have never given in or given up.
For photographers, Cuba’s Havana is a dream setting. The preservation of Havana’s history gives a unique sense of a time gone by. Its architecture is timeworn but magnificent. The city’s people are open and welcoming, their culture vibrant. The street scenes are captivating and ever-changing. There’s something to inspire every photographer, and we’ll help you immerse yourself in Cuba’s story.
- Day 1 Arrival at Josi Marti International Airport in Havana, where you'll be picked up and taken to your hotel. After settling in, we can all get to know each other during dinner.
- Day 2 - 7 We'll spend our days photographing Havana.
A typical day will start with a brief group discussion over what we are planning on shooting that day - then going out photographing, where there will be a mix of one-to-one and group teaching. After returning to our accommodation, we take time to review and assess everyone's images, and to discuss photography theory. For dinner, we invite you to explore Cuba's exciting restaurants - and possibly its pulsating night scene.
November 1 - 10, 2018
Price: £2195 per person sharing
Included in the price:
- Accommodation in comfortable bed & breakfasts and casas
- Daily breakfast and lunch, including drinks (except for day 1, when dinner is included, and day 7, when only breakfast in included)
- Airport transfers to and from Josi Marti International Airport
- All transport on the ground
- Constant and personal photographic tuition
- Entry visa for Cuba
- An indirect contribution to the Penda Trust, as part of our proceeds go towards funding the running costs of our charity
- A tree that will be planted on your behalf by Greenpop, as a way to help compensate for your carbon footprint
Not included in the price:
- Flights to and from Havana (Josi Marti International Airport)
- Personal travel insurance
- Dinner (except for day 1)
You never know what can happen in Havana, it’s a city of surprises and escapades – and that’s what makes it such a great location for photography. We know all of the hip and happening places to shoot and be seen and we’ll introduce to the best hotspots. We’ll keep this photography workshop as fluid and relaxed as possible; there’s no fixed agenda as we will shoot for the conditions and opportunities as they arise, but here’s a few of the high- lights you can look forward to:
Visual Storytelling Masterclass: Throughout the week we will mentor you on the art of capturing and engaging with your audience through compelling and striking images.
Classic Car Cruise: No trip to Havana would be complete without a leisurely tour of the city from the comfort of a classic American con- vertible.
Old Havana: The real heart of central Havana is the district known as Old Havana. We’ll guide you through the backstreets and alleyways, to the find the plazas, market places and hidden gems.
Fashion Shoot: A stunning location, some beautiful models, you and your camera – and our expert guidance. So you’re certain to capture some attention-grabbing shots.
Salsa Studio: Seductive, sexy and sultry – find yourself whisked across the dance-floor for a mambo or cha, cha, cha or shoot from the sidelines to capture the heart, soul and passion.
Your Photography Workshops
Throughout the workshop we will explore a variety of photographic styles and genres; street based and urban, landscapes, portraits, architecture, fashion and food, in both colour and black & white. We will examine the work and approach of well known and less well known photographers from different eras and countries and understand who they were influenced by, who in turn they influenced and what impressions they left on both the photographic landscape and the world at large.
- Camera and a range of lenses (any camera will be fine – the tutoring will be tailor-made to each participant’s individual skill-level and equipment)
- Spare batteries and memory cards
- Computer with editing software
Andy’s career in photography began with studying portraiture and editorial photography at Leamington Spa College, under world-renowned photographer Bill Jackson. His subsequent training and experience as a newspaper photographer taught him that an expertly-taken picture is often the most powerful way of conveying a story, a personality or an emotion.
After 13 years working in newspapers as both staff photographer and picture editor, Andy launched his freelance career, fulfilling a long-held desire to travel and pursue his own creative projects, which has included the publication of four photography books. His latest work, ‘People,' is a celebration of humanity; over 100 images, shot across 15 countries.
Andy’s work has been featured in many publications, including National Geographic, the Sunday Times, the Observer, and the Daily Telegraph. Andy was also the photographer behind the world’s first charity e-book; Holding onto Hope; a series of celebrity photographs in aid of OvaCome, a charity which is particularly close to Andy’s heart.
Andrew is a documentary and travel photographer with an interest in recording everyday stories and events. After attaining a distinction in his Diploma in Professional Photography in 2012, he furthered his photographic studies through a series of courses and workshops around the world. Late in 2012, Andrew met Andy Scaysbrook on a photography holiday in Cuba, where Andy's unique teaching methods, passion and enthusiasm led him to realise that he wanted to be much more than a hobbyist photographer.
He has since been mentored by Andy whilst also working on a number of personal projects and collaborations with other photographers. His images have been exhibited as part of collections of work in a number of galleries, including Tate Britain. In 2014, Andrew was honoured to be named the winner in Digital Photographer Magazine's Digital Photographer of the Year Awards in the travel category.